SimpliSafe 7-Piece Home Security System

SimpliSafe 7-Piece Home Security System

Anyone have any feedback on this or is it the first time we get the new model?
I’ve seen the old looking one plenty of times but this one caught my attention.
Now I’m comparing Ring, Abode, and a bunch of startups.

We have it. It’s been rock solid. The app is well designed and easy to use. I’d wait and watch for it to go on sale on the simplisafe website though. We got ours when it came with a free video doorbell. They run that sale every couple of months. The one downside is that there aren’t any outdoor cameras besides the doorbell. I have read that one is in the works, but no idea when it will be released.

1 Like

I bought one of these a few months ago, and it’s fantastic. Support has been great. My only complaint is that their app only allows you to have a single user.

Speaking of sales and specials, SimpliSafe has a Father’s Day special going on now - 15% off w/ a camera.

This woot offer is basically the Essential/Homestead w an extra motion sensor or the Bedford w/ an extra door sensor.

I got this for my parents and it’s a great - easy to set up and easy to use. The monitoring is $25/mo but whether the service can contact the police or fire depends on your locality as laws vary.

Is it possible to have this WITHOUT monitoring fee (just use the phone)? I thought that was one of the original selling points…

$25.00 a month for monitoring? Wow, you sure don’t have to worry about who is stealing your money since you’re paying SimpliSafe $300.00 a year!

1 Like

Have you compared that to other monitoring charges, which almost all come with a contract?

Haven’t used their system (been thinking about getting one), but Ring Security monitoring is $10/month or $100 a year if you purchase annual plan. Also includes storage and protection on all of your Ring cameras if you have them

1 Like

They now sell silicone sleeves and extended cords for the indoor cameras to use as outdoor cameras. Operating temp ranges are perfectly fine for outdoor. I converted two cameras to outdoor ones and they have been working great outside.

2 Likes

They have a base plan for 14.99/mo. The 25/mo plan is for app access which has additional features and video recording storage.

1 Like

You can use the system without monitoring, but you won’t have app access. Pretty much the alarm would just go off but no one would be dispatched.

1 Like

I have used Simplisafe for a year or so now and so far it has been good. Batteries in the sensors are still all function fine after a year and have not had any other issues. They have a doorbell camera now which I just set up, as well as bought the conversion kit for 2 indoor cameras so they can be used outside. They also have things like smoke detectors, water sensors, panic buttons you can place throughout the house, freeze sensors, etc. This seems like a good deal, and sometimes they have deals like getting a free camera if you order a doorbell, if you wanted to add onto it.

2 Likes

I tried Simplisafe out and while I liked the hardware, I couldn’t justify paying $25 for the full app functionality. I thought it would be fine using the keypad or fobs for the system but not having full app access eventually annoyed me.

I went ahead and returned it and got Ring. It worked out since I wanted to get a Ring doorbell as well so $10 a month for full monitoring and app access was too good of a deal to pass up.

That being said, Simplisafe definitely felt nicer and more polished in terms of the hardware/software.

1 Like

Thanks for taking time to answer questions. It’s wooters like you that keep our community thriving!

1 Like

I bought a simplisafe bundle ( a heapload of sensors : 4 doors, smokes, CO, Motion detectors, Extra siren, extra pad, key fobs etc etc).

I concur with previous comments - it’s been absolutely rock solid.
My bundle came with : Free Camera! And like 60 days free monitoring ( with a free return ).
The Camera is frankly awful ( and mine was before the thing I read above where they’ve turned it into an outdoor one). But I have cameras already and wasn’t concerned.

Camera monitoring also requires the $25 month plan - which enables remote control via their app. I don’t need that either, so the basic $15 / month “We’ll call the police for you…” is sufficient for me.

And it does work. Smoke detectors went off - Fire Brigade arrived.
Door sensors tripped ( after I sat on my fob and turned on the alarm, but the wife didn’t know and walked out the back door). Got called on the home phone by monitoring station for password - which I had forgotten. They skipped to 2nd contact ( which was the wife’s phone standing right next to me ). Fortunately we were able to remember our passphrase before they cut us off and sent the coppers around.

The base station can use either wireless connectivity to monitoring station or a built in mobile chip - Which is great - it doesn’t rely on a home phone line, which many people have ditched and was an issue for our old ADT. It checks in every day to make sure you’re still good. The batteries on all the remote sensors are still going a year on out, And faults like ‘CO sensor reports error’ ( too much dust ) are displayed on the pads.

Overall, I’m very happy. Our old ADT was costing us upwards of $50 a month, and were looking to charge us $800 to ‘update it’ ( to wireless sensors etc). Instead I spent the $800 got myself an owner installed system, and reduced my monthly by $35 / month.

1 Like

So, here we are, WOOT’s selling this brand. I’ve gotten TWO mail-Spam “cards” form them in the mail. Most recent, yesterday. Seeing adds on TV blah blah blah. SO, IMO, when a company goes on such a hard up media blitz and everyone is selling them, even showing up here on woot, raises a RED FLAG. In a year or two, they will be out of business or some major security leak. Think I’ll sit this one out.

1 Like

Not EVERYTHING we sell is from a company waiting to fail or already failed. People like these. It has good reviews. We’ve partnered with them for quite a few years now.

1 Like

Can anyone chime in with their experience regarding home automation with Simplisafe (specifically Google Home/Assistant)? Currently using Vivint, and would love to save some $$$ if Simplisafe offers the same security and home automation promises for less.

If I already have a Ring doorbell and Alexa Dots, should I get this or the Ring system? One app for everything seems like a better choice and monitoring is only $10 instead of $25 (for the better monitoring). But Wirecutter picked Simplisafe as best.