Ultrex 10 Piece Stainless Steel Cutlery Set

Speaking of which, how easy is it to remove fingerprints from these?

You can pick this up at your local Wal-Mart Store for $18.00. Add in Woot shipping and Wal-Mart is the better deal.

I just read a review of these. All the blades are serrated, even the paring knife. That’s kind of wierd.

So…are these better than cutco or worse?

Stainless steel is a horrible material for knives. They lose their edge quickly and cannot be sharpened easily or well. High-carbon stainless steel is the material you want, or high-carbon steel if you’re rich.

Avoid this woot!

The same goes for other blades such as swords or bayonets. However, many blades are made from stainless steel (or galvanized steel) these days because it simply LOOKS higher quality, and doesn’t (usually) rust, leading the user into thinking it is a better quality.

serrated chef’s knife? ROFL

Use only fire.

Serrated knives are good for cutting bread and just about nothing else.

you try cutting though a steak with a non-serrated edge!

This Ultrex set is $18.00 at Walmart
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5855158

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5855158

Walmart is $18.00

I found this out too, and that explains why it’s so cheap. If you’re looking for a set of cheap, usable knives, this is one way to go.

However, the fact that it’s serrated means that it’s going to be hard to sharpen and hone, meaning they’ll go bad on you quicker without a simple way to keep them sharpened and straight. Also, it makes chopping something of a hassle and wears out cutting boards quickly.

Also, serrated paring knives are much harder to use then straight edged ones.

If I didn’t invest in three decent knives (semi-peacemeal), I might consider this.

Only around $18 at Wal-mart so I’m guessing this is just some cheap knife set. Great I imagine for a secondary use like maybe a cabin, kids at college, etc. But I already have a pretty good knife set so I guess I’ll pass.

Given similar pricing, I’d still prefer Woot over Wal-mart though if I was going to buy it.

You must have shitty serrated knives.
I have a set of Victorinox kitchen knives, all of them serrated, or toothed as I see it, and they cut everything and anything, in my opinion better than a straight blade. I mean onions, potatoes, tomatoes, chicken, of course breads pies etc. Granted a serrated cleaver would be messed up.

Hand wash only? What would happen if I stuck these in a dishwasher? It’s not like stainless steel is going to melt. . .

What is all this crap about a secret message! rereading the desc. is making my head hurt. Going to bed if something doesnt jump out at me soon

i knew i wasn’t crazy!!!
that is the point of serrated edge!

Serrated blades stay sharper longer than straight blades, and don’t require a high level of refinement in their creation to achieve adequate sharpness. This is why many many cheap sets fo with the serrated blades, and why they can claim that the blade will “stay sharp a lifetime” or whatever blather they use.

I have 2 sets of knives at home… a Henckle’s Everedge set I use when I don’t feel like cleaning my knives right away, which boast a “lifetime” serrated blade. They cost me $30 and I don’t feel guilty manhandling them and tossing em in the dishwasher for hours/days before cleaning them. I’ve had em 10 years or so, and never sharpened them.
My main set is Wusthof professional knives I’ve spent around $800 on. When I use those, I make sure I clean and dry em after every use, paranoid of ruining the blade. I also sharpen them every once in awhile. The Wusthof’s are a far superior knife in every way possible, but if I just wanna do some rough cutting or don’t have much to chop, the Everedge are more than serviceable, and save me the hassle of immediate cleanup.

Long story short, cheap knives are real nice to have for a second set.

Yes it will, then turn into Robert Patrick and kill your family