Mountain House Emergency Food Supply Kits

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Mountain House Emergency Food Supply Kits
Price: $27.99 - 209.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard OR $10 Two-Day OR $20 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Aug 08 to Tuesday, Aug 09) + transit
Condition: New

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](Mountain House Emergency Food Supply Kits) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Mountain House Emergency Food Supply Kits) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](Mountain - Google Shopping House Emergency Food Supply Kits)

Check out the Product Page

grape sno-cone

Comments from a previous offer

A while back I got the 1-year non-freeze-dried product from another company. For a lot more $$$, to help my family deal with California’s 4 seasons: fire, floods, earthquakes, and riots. The one I purchased has a realistic number of calories (unlike this one) and is made of canned food in large cans and dried bulk food in sealed 5 gallon pails. Every year you have to buy 4 gallons of cooking oil to provide the fats, but the rest lasts at least 15 years. It might realistically feed three people for 3 or 4 months. I also have equipment for water, etc.

The 14-day package here is appropriate for someone in an apartment (with limited space), or someone who wants to get through a natural disaster such as a snowstorm, rather than a real big disaster, say a contagious disease that it takes months to deal with.

If you want to get serious enough to sit out a few months with your family, expect to pay $500 to $1000 per person. People who take the time to package the bulk foods themselves for long-term storage may be able to beat that price.

I am perfectly happy with the prospect that I will probably never have to use this stuff.

would help if we knew what the product expiration dates are before buying…I have purchased this brand of food before for back packing and the shelf life is important factor into making a decision to buy or not

…just sayin’, I’m probably not the only one that needs this information to make an intelligent decision on whether to buy or not

From their FAQ:
Q: What is the shelf life for your foods?
A: Our meals in pouches, kits and cans all have a freeze dried, emergency food industry-leading guaranteed shelf life and Taste Guarantee of 30 years.

At the bottom of the “features” list.
All kits best by Summer 2046

5 day kit:$70
14 day kit:$210

5x3=15, 3x70= 210.

Buy three of the 5-day kits for the same price as the 14 day kit and get an extra days worth for free!

We do a lot of backpacking and carry freeze-dried food for breakfasts and dinners. Mountain House is the most delicious brand we’ve tried, and is our usual go-to.

The Breakfast Skillet is pretty good, as is the Granola with Blueberries (there are a LOT of blueberries! Blue milk, mmm). My favorite dinners are not on the list (Sweet and Sour Pork, and Chicken and Mashed Potatoes) but Chili Mac and Chicken Teriyaki are pretty good, though the Teriyaki is quite salty.

That said, they still don’t hold a candle to actual real food.

I know these are a regular here at Woot but since nobody else has yet commented about it, these are actually pretty good taste wise. The spaghetti is one of my favorite ones. I would put it on par with your average spaghetti you would make at home if you just boil the noodles and add canned sauce. Of course it’s going to be below anything you totally make from scratch.

Overall these are filling, not very heavy, and quick to make. I would suggest using slightly (10-15%) less water than they recommend and instead just let it sit for an extra couple minutes. You will get a less runny product and it will still cook fully. Also after a day out backpacking or doing anything strenuous expect to eat a full package by yourself. I can put one away pretty easy.

This is because the “14 day kit” I believe is a 2-3-4 and a 5 day kit bundled. Notice the calories drop because of the mixture of kits. And to however said realistic calories aren’t in these packs, no, if you are heavy and want to maintain that then you are right but 1800-2000 a day is fine even for a 6 foot 2 185 pound person to survive on. Notice “emergency survival” is key here. And frankly you could live your whole life on 2k a day and be very healthy.

I wouldn’t count granola, macaroni and cheese, or scrambled eggs(Because they are horrible) as meals. That being said, I did the math and these work out to more than $10 a pouch, they are $5-$10 each on amazon and you actually get to pick the ones you want. My wooting days are almost over. Sad to see such a great site die.

My calculator did the math and these are $4.60 per ouch for the 5 day case and $4.99 per pouch for the 14 day package. That’s counting all the pouches equally. Did you subtract the pouches you don’t like or figure a lower value for them?

Still if you can get the meals you want on the mothership for the same price and have free ahippong with prime, then that may be the way to go.

Per the specs tab: Best by Summer 2046

Are these survivalist food packets tactical?

I’m not sure I understand the question. Can you explain what you mean by tactical?

Folks who want tactical rations are in general going to buy surplus MREs. MREs are meant to be eaten in the field but not during an actual firefight, and come with a chemical heater which will cook the food in its pouch without smoke or fire. MREs also are in general a full meal, in that besides the main dish they come with a side dish, dessert entree, hardtack crackers, spread for the crackers, a hydration drink, an energy bar, a cup of coffee, creamer, sugar, salt, pepper, napkin, wetnap, spoon and 4 chicklets of gum. A pretty civilized meal for a soldier in a bad place, and thus some mood support as well as nutrition.

They range from kind of good to not that tasty. They are fun to try and might work out well as an emergency ration stored in your car for that day there’s a multi-car accident on the highway and it takes 6 hours to get home, or while you’re waiting 90 minutes for AAA to come and tow your car.

There is also a darker clientele for some of these supplies. My personal paranoia level is not nearly that high.

Ah, thank you for sharing some insight on that subject.

These are not self heating, so they might not work for someone who is looking for more tactical food options.