Ninja CREAMi 7-Program Ice Cream Maker

Ninja CREAMi 7-Program Ice Cream Maker

2 Likes
3 Likes

It’s not even what it says it is!!!

3 Likes

I got this for Xmas and have used it every day. I’m a weight watcher and make ice cream from protein drinks, sugar free pudding, just fruit, yogurt , almond milk etc. amazing machine and mine was $179. Very minimal cleanup. Decided to buy another one for the lake!

5 Likes

Have you tried Swerve natural sugar replacement in your ice cream recipes? I hear the results are positive.

4 Likes

Yes. It works great. I also use monk fruit sugar and allulose

3 Likes

It’s not even what it says it is? Elaborate.

5 Likes

you can make ice cream from a lake?

10 Likes

No, they are saying that they got one as a present for the lake.

6 Likes

FWIW, this is NOT really an ice cream maker. Rather, you make the ice cream yourself, involving cooking at times, and freeze what you’ve made for about 24 hours. Then you put the ice cream you’ve made into the machine and this macine then processes it down into an ice cream texture for you.

7 Likes

As a chef for 26 years I can say this machine is awesome!!! It may take longer than expected but the payoff is phenominal!

3 Likes

It’s basically a pacojet right?

2 Likes

It’s an interesting home chef toy, for sure. I wonder if the 2 extra programs are worth the extra $15?

2 Likes

Yeah, consumer level pacojet. I love mine. 2 pints of protein ice cream clock in at less than 200 calories.

4 Likes

Same argument and main “negative” as the video posted at the start.

I posit that what some are calling “ice cream makers” are actually “ice cream freezers”. Ice cream “freezers” take liquid ingredients and freezes them into ice cream form, whereas this “maker” takes a pre-frozen mixture and shaves it into an ice cream form. Most (all?) ice cream “freezers” require some amount of preparation and are not as simple as tossing in the ingredients and pressing “Go”.

Sure, with most cold mixtures you could simply put the ingredients in and it will mix/freeze, but in my experience one gets better results if one pre-mixes and chills the mixture a couple hours before pouring into the freezer. Likewise any recipe that requires cooking (eg. custards) will still need to be cooked and require cool down/chill time (up to 24 hours) before being poured into the freezer. If you have one of those freezers which have a gel/liquid bowl which needs to be pre-frozen, well it either needs time to freeze or must be kept in the refrigerator freezer so it can be ready to go at a moments notice, which takes up space in the freezer.

Either way you cut it, what everyone else is calling “makers”, but are actually “freezers”, all require some non-zero amount of preparation time. The whole “this devices requires you to plan ahead” argument seems a bit moot. And seeing this is the common argument from multiple sources, it’s making me wonder if there is an ice cream freezer cabal which is united in fighting this device, which makes it even more intriguing.

Setting all that aside, I would rather learn what the texture is like. This “maker” is basically an ice shaver. Can an ice shaver produce something which has the same or similar creamy texture as store bought ice cream? Are we talking Culver’s vanilla on a “good day” (smooth, creamy) or a “bad day” (gritty, icy)?

2 Likes

What do the different programs actually do? Are thy just different preset timers, or does it actually vary the speed of the blades?

1 Like

The Sorted Chefs don’t usually suffer foolish kitchen toys gladly and they seem to like it.

2 Likes

I also have to wonder about the durability. I JUST spotted these at my Wal-Mart the other day, and yet here we are with refurbished units (sold without recipe books I may add).

Google says the Creami was released July 2021. Here we are May 2022. Christmas returns?

Sooo many questions. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I share that concern. My ninja flip up oven keeps running like a champ, but this seems like it would be a lot easier to break.

2 Likes

Creamy like the name says, even just a can of pineapple comes out creamy

1 Like